Nutrition-Ed provides Western Australian High Schools with expert nutrition education workshops that have been specifically designed to meet the school curriculum for each year level. Our workshops provides students with the opportunity to learn the essential nutrition life skills and understanding of healthy eating within the school setting. The program fulfills the nutrition related health outcomes under the curriculum for students of all ages.
The program is run and delivered in both private and government schools. Each year level has a program of topics specifically designed to meet their health curriculum requirements
Nutrition-Ed is delivered by two qualified and experienced presenters, Megan Hardy, Dietitian (APD) and Sarah Moore, Nutritionist (RNutr). We have been working in the field of nutrition education for over 8 years. We are fully insured and police cleared with current Working with Children Checks.
How is Nutrition-Ed Different?
Nutrition-Ed provides engaging and interactive sessions, which add value to the existing curriculum. Our unique approach to nutrition education converts nutrition theory into practical strategies. Students improve their self-talk and critical thinking and strategy tool-kit to make informed choices enhancing
their health and wellbeing.
Our sessions can be adopted to meet the needs of your students. We recommended sessions be delivered in classes ranging from 20-30 students. This will allow for an interactive and engaging learning
environment with each student actively participating.
For larger groups of students, we can adapt the content to be delivered in more of a lecture style. We can deliver 1-2 nutrition topics (of your choice) per 60-minute session. Nutrition-Ed can deliver workshops both within or outside of school hours.
Nutrition-Ed Topics for Years 7 - 8.
• Australian Guide to Healthy Eating: Explanation of food groups, and amounts of each needed for a balanced diet. Students will gain an understanding of how to apply the tools of the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating in a practical and logical way for day to day living.
• Value for money: Comparing the cost of healthy eating vs unhealthy eating. Modifying recipes to improve the nutritional quality and reduce the cost of meals at home.
• Preventative health: Identifying nutritional adequacy through understanding macronutrients and micronutrients.
• Understanding Food Labels: An in-depth look at food labels and labelling laws in Australia.
• Healthy Body and Mind: Using theories from the Health at Every Size model to explore how our diet is more than weight management and it’s effect on energy, emotional and mental wellbeing.
Nutrition Ed Topics for Years 9 - 10.
• Debunking body image: Understanding impacts on body image, the risks and effects of unhealthy body image and how to develop a positive body image.
• Fast food: Analyzing what is really in fast food and learning how to find healthy options when you’re on the go or out with friends.
• Health and the Media: Developing critical health literacy skills and strategies by evaluating the impact of marketing and food industry on our health related attitudes and beliefs.
• Fact or Fiction?: Identifying the nutrition red flags in the media and online. Learning critical health literacy skills and strategies to recognize misinformation, fad diets as well as celebrity and influencer endorsements.
• Dr Google: Developing skills to determine appropriateness and reliability of online health information.
While we have developed our program to suit the health curriculum your school is able to request any topic which you feel fits the needs of your students. We also provide parent and teacher information sessions to compliment the student workshops.
Secondary Stage 4 (Y7-8), Secondary Stage 5 (Y9-10), Secondary Stage 6 (Y11-12)
Bunbury, Geraldton, Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Mandurah, Perth, Rockingham